This job was posted over 90 days ago and may no longer be available.
Backend Software Engineer
About Digital Harvest:
Digital Harvest is expanding our team with additional software engineers and data scientists! We are a young company that applies remote sensing and data science techniques to solve large scale problems in the agricultural sector. Our customers are growers and processors of crops seeking to better understand resources, costs, and yield qualities and quantities to make more proactive data-driven decisions. Our product is a full roadmap to digitizing agricultural operations, delivering useful analytics now and building a foundation for more advanced analytics later. We start by advising ground data collection processes and helping our customers build a strong data culture. Next is bringing global remotely sensed and simulated data layers to field managers, then combining it all with human-in-the-loop AI predictors to reduce the burden of interpretation and maximize mutual learning. Lastly, quantitative field level analytics offers an opportunity to optimize field activities locally to achieve better outcomes regionally.
Digital Harvest is a growing company seeking individuals to grow with us, and seek to provide an environment of on the job learning to continue driving our growth. Self-motivation and proactive communication are a requirement, as they allow Digital Harvest to remain committed to a full time, fully remote work arrangement for all employees.
You’re naturally inquisitive and a prolific learner. You take the initiative to ask questions and find answers. You have a background that includes some if not most of the following:
- Python web application frameworks (Flask, SQLAlchemy) and REST principles
- Database design, ETL, ORM and/or SQL interface, and performance optimization.
- Linux on Amazon web services (AWS) EC2, RDS, S3, SQS, etc.
- Continuous integration and deployment, environment management, containerization, and processing task management systems
- Git version control.
- Unit testing and integration testing principles and python frameworks.
- Geospatial data formats, standards, and operations.
- Python GIS libraries (gdal, ogr, geoalchemy2, fiona, shapely, rasterio).
Interest and/or experience in:
- Agronomy, horticulture, soil science, hydrology, weather and climate, botany and phenology, or any other agriculturally relevant field.
- Remote sensing techniques derived data and the underlying physics.
- Reading scientific journals and converting research methods into code.
- Creating and maintaining code with an elegant logical structure.
A Backend Software Developer at Digital Harvest builds, improves, deploys, and monitors applications to accelerate customer advancement along the agriculture digitization roadmap and support the data science team.
- Collaboratively define outward DH API behaviors
- Build internal data flows, structures, and storage schema to support both internal and public APIs according to defined outward behavior.
- Prioritize feature development tasks to meet delivery schedules.
- Evaluate, and optimize performance of database operations and architecture.
- Maintain and develop multiple unit and integration testing, development, and production branches of git repositories.
- Manage internal pipelines from public and private data sources, including remote sensing data, weather data, and soil data in tabular and GIS raster and vector formats.
- Develop new routines for the ingestion of new data sources into pipelines as needed.
- Build conceptual models to demonstrate a problem-solving methodology.
- Write maintainable code with concise supporting external and internal documentation.
- A Bachelors or advanced degree in an analytical field
- The ability to work effectively remotely as part of a team
- Fluency in the English language
- Fluency in Python 3
- Fluency in a 2nd+ language.
Location: Full-time remote work, near-global flexibility on location.
- Must have access to reliable broadband internet with speeds sufficient to perform duties and participate in high def video conferencing frequently.
How to Apply: Send resume to email@example.com
How to Apply
Send Resume and Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org