Full Stack Web Dev - Python, React, SQL
We are looking for a full stack (Python) web application developers to join the team at Level 12:
TL;DR: Why Consider This Position?
- We give you a lot of information in the job description so that you can figure out if you'd really like to work here.
- We have a commitment to transparency and offer a “no surprises experience” throughout the interview and hiring process.
- We practice and preach sound development practices. You are likely to learn and grow as a developer while working here.
- Our pay and benefits will be somewhere between good and great, depending on what you are used to and where you live (see below for specifics).
- You will have the option of working from home or our office, whatever suits you best. Let’s make the most of our time and minimize commuting when not necessary.
- We have a no-drama office policy. We value and cultivate enjoyable working relationships among team members.
- We emphasize work/life balance and adopt policies that make sure our people don’t get burnt out. For instance, our PTO/Vacation policies are designed so that you actually use them.
- A commitment to Agile Principles while not being enslaved to any particular methodology.
- You have the skills and experience to be a mid-level or senior level full-stack web application developer. That is, you need to be able to architect & run with a medium sized project mostly on your own.
- You like building full stack web applications with technologies like Python, React, SQL, etc.
- You are committed to automated testing of all the software you write (our apps typically have 92%+ test coverage).
- You recognized that there is a lot of idealism in the software development community and are not disenchanted with the the day-to-day realities of programming.
- You like working independently but can contribute to a team as needed
- If you apply, we will give you a yay or nay response. No black holes here!
This is not a design job. It will require a lot of in-depth programming and database work including the ability to architect maintainable code that gets the job done.
While we do prefer to do most of our back-end work in Python, we will occasionally take projects in other languages if they seem to be a good fit for us and the customer.
Some days you will jump from project to project as issues come up. At other times you may work primarily on one project for weeks or months.
The ability to take ownership for a project, engineer a sound technical solution, and “drive” a project to completion is essential.
Our customers have varied needs and so we tend to have varied responsibilities and projects. We have a focus on serving the customer and making software conform to their company rather than making the company conform to software.
We run our teams (two currently) in two week sprints.
What We Offer
- Pay: $80-$105K (mid-level), $105K-$125K (Senior).
- We are happy to talk about money as one of the first parts of our conversation so we don’t waste each others time if we aren’t in the ballpark.
- Everyone wants to be paid as much as possible, but the economics of business usually require that we meet in the middle.
- Our offer will take into consideration your salary history, experience, references, and a skills assessment.
- Profit Sharing: In addition to a salary, our employees will earn a bonus based on how profitable our company is each year (roughly $1-2K annually).
- One of the best things about working for us is that we really value work/family balance.
- We rarely work more than 40 hours a week.
- We know there are devs out there putting in 50-60 hours a week. We can give them 10-20 hours a week of their life back.
- Everyone receives 3 weeks of PTO/Vacation per year.
- Up to 12 sick days per year.
- 9 Holidays
- Flexibility: While we expect a regular schedule during normal business hours, we are pretty flexible when schedule changes are needed for legitimate reasons.
- Remote candidates are welcome to apply.
- Many of us work from home frequently, even those of us who are local.
- We do have an office if you prefer to get away from home to focus on work.
- We Care: It’s easy to say, harder to do. We all need to make a living, our company needs to be successful in the marketplace, and hard decisions sometimes need to be made. But, at the end of the day, we really care about our employees, their families, their needs, and their desires.
Full Job Description & Application Instructions
Above are just highlights. The full job description for both positions are on our website and includes salary information, videos, and instructions on applying: https://level12.io/careers/
The candidate for the Senior Developer position will usually have 6-10 years relevant experience and meet the following requirements:
- Technical Skills
- Are able to write modular, well-tested, and maintainable code
- Know a software development domain really well and radiate that knowledge to our team and beyond
- Are able to work on multiple projects as needed
- Leads the design for customer projects with feedback from other engineers
- Proposes new ideas for improving the development team, customer projects, and/or our tech stack
- Adheres to and promotes our development culture and mission
- For Team Leads (see below): invests in other team members to see that they are growing as individuals and to facilitate productivity within our team.
- Code quality
- Leaves code in substantially better shape than before
- Fixes bugs/regressions quickly
- Monitors overall code quality/build failures
- Creates tests religiously and makes sure the rest of the team is doing the same
- Proactively identifies and reduces technical debt
- Proactively defines and solves important architectural issues
- Provides thorough and timely code feedback for peers
- Able to communicate clearly on technical topics
- Keeps issues up-to-date with progress
- Helps guide other merge requests to completion
- Helps with recruiting
- Is able to manage conversations directly with customer contacts when needed.
- Performance & Scalability
- Excellent at writing production-ready code with little assistance
- Able to write complex code that can scale with a significant number of users
- Avoids premature optimization
The candidate for the Mid-Level Developer position will usually have 3-6 years relevant experience and meet some but not all of the requirements listed above for senior developers.
In addition to the leadership expectations noted above, some of our senior developers will also be involved in leading other developers and interacting with customers. We realize not every senior developer is as good with people as they are with code and that’s ok. We need and value individual contributors. But if you like and are good at interacting with people, we will have opportunities for you to lead teams and/or projects.