Python Technical Writer (Part-Time, 100% Remote)
Do you have a knack for writing and want to get your thoughts in front of millions of Python developers?
The Real Python Tutorial Team is known for making the highest-quality Python tutorials available online. Our mission is to “help Python developers around the world become more awesome.”
And with a reach of 500,000 pageviews a month it feels amazing how far we’ve come—but we think we can do even better!
To help us raise the quality level of our tutorials even further, and expand beyond the topics we’ve covered so far, we are growing our team:
We are looking for great new authors and editors to join our team. Keep reading to find out what’s involved, and how to apply.
Note: This is not a full-time job. These are part-time informal positions you can do in the evenings/weekends.
Why Join Our Team?
- Learning: You’ll always be learning something new—and you’ll have fun doing it. You’ll become a better developer, writer, and communicator, while making new friends along the way.
- Eyeballs: Our site gets a lot of traffic—half a million pageviews per month and growing. We’re regularly featured in other Python publications and we also run one of the largest newsletters in the community. When you publish a tutorial here, it will get read a lot, and people will love you for it.
- Tutorial Polish: When you submit a tutorial or article to realpython.com, we will personally work with you to polish your work to a high level of quality. In the end, your tutorial will look much better than when you first submitted it, making you look really good :)
- Writing Training: When we are done reviewing and editing your tutorial, we will send you detailed feedback on how you can improve your tutorials in the future. This will help you become a better developer, writer, and communicator.
- Personal Exposure: Your picture and bio will be prominently featured on your tutorials and on multiple other places on the site. This can lead to a multitude of new opportunities for you—job offers, freelance projects, and conference invitations. You’ll also get your own personal page on the Real Python Team roster.
- $$$ Money: You’ll get paid to learn. We’re not asking you to do this “just for the exposure”—this is a paid part-time position. This is also 100% remote work you can do from anywhere in the world, at your own pace.
- Special Opportunities: Members of the tutorial team get access to special opportunities such as contributing to our books and courses, speaking at online meetups we organize, becoming interview guests to chat about an area of your expertise, working on team projects, and more.
- Contracting Opportunities: We share contracting opportunities we hear about with the rest of the team—this is a great way to find out about more Python-related work.
- You’ll Have an Impact: We get emails and comments every day about how our tutorials help our readers write their first Python program, get their learning progress unstuck, or accomplish their career dream of working with Python professionally. This means a lot to us and makes all the hard work worth it.
- Free Stuff: As a final bonus, by joining the tutorial team you will get a lot of free stuff. You’ll get a free copy of all of the products we sell on the site, as well as a life-time membership to PythonistaCafe. That’s about $1,000 in value you’ll receive for free.
What Can You Write About?
At Real Python we aim to provide the highest quality tutorials and articles for Python developers out there. We’re in this for the long haul and we want to create and publish great resources that really help people improve their programming skills and their careers.
Here are some of the categories we’re looking for writers on:
- Technical – Python development, web development, testing, automation, etc. These articles should be at least 1000 words long (even more if you have it in you) and include detailed instructions, how-to’s, getting started guides to a specific technology, library, or framework.
- Career – All kinds of career topics that would appeal to: employees, managers, freelancers, entrepreneurs, and students. These articles should relate specifically to the programming and developer industry with a focus on the world of Python.
- Productivity – System, hacks, learning, etc. These articles should give programmers the tools to accelerate their processes and put their best work (and selves) out to the world.
- Motivational – Psychology, dealing with fear, failure, attitude, inspiration, success. “Life advice” for software developers, basically.
We’re looking for a skilled technical writer with programming experience to write tutorials and blog posts related to the Python programming language.
The goal here is to provide the highest quality tutorials and articles for Python developers on the internet. We’re looking for someone who has programming experience, a knack for teaching others, and the writing skills to clearly communicate with our readers.
In a nutshell, the general requirements for this role are:
- You must be an advanced-level developer.
- You should be a great writer with fluent English writing skills.
- You should be comfortable learning brand new topics that you have never done before, which are either not documented or poorly documented.
- You should have a strong work ethic—this will be a significant time commitment and is not easy.
How to Apply
To apply for the Real Python Tutorial Team, click the link below and fill out the application form:
For the applicants that look most promising, we will give you a paid trial assignment. If you pass the tryout, you’re in!