Sr Backend Engineer (Python/Flask/AWS)
You’ll be responsible for a database-backed consumer video app that relies on Flask and AWS. Besides processing video and maintaining customer account functions, you’ll be working with our machine learning team to provide SOTA AI video editing to support the AI running in our iOS app.
Most importantly, we’re seeking someone who wants to take on a challenge, think outside the box, and work with a diverse and world-class team to build something truly memorable. This stuff is hard, and a whole lot of fun!
Our current stack is Python, Flask, and several AWS components. Swift skills are a plus for integrating with our iOS app.
Oh! Did I mention, you will do all of this 100% remotely with lots of flexibility!
What you’ll achieve
- Design, build and maintain backend API and database that are the core of our product
- Work closely with product team on every step of product development process, and with front-end developers to deliver new features rapidly
- Lead the design of our backend infrastructure, while striking a balance between rapid feature delivery and site reliability/scalability
- Participate in on-call rotation, investigate and resolve production problems
- May work on upgrading internal web tools and product websites
- 3+ years with Flask on building robust API (preferably for mobile apps)
- Experience with relational databases (ex. Postgres) and NoSQL database solutions
- Real-world deployment of high availability services
- Experience with analytics APIs, dashboards and monitoring tooling, i.e. Amplitude
- Experience working with AWS or other cloud-based services providers
- Experience juggling hosting cost vs performance
- Excellent communication skill for collaborating with other team members
- Passionate about building a product with great user experience and attention to details
- Excited about learning new technologies and/or taking on new challenges
Bonus points if you
- Have experience with Python
- Have experience with video hosting and storage, video streaming, or video on demand infrastructure requirements, server-side encode/transcode
- Have experience with web development using ReactJS
- Have experience with CDNs
- Have experience working on iOS or mobile development
- Have experience managing costs associated with AWS
- Like taking/sharing photos or videos, have an interest in pop culture, music, film, or have creative hobbies/side projects!
- Are deadline and detail-oriented
- Have strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Have strong project and time-management skills