Senior Back End Engineer
We're on a mission to help every company hit their numbers.
The world has evolved, but business planning has not. Most Finance teams still manage their planning and analysis in spreadsheets, yet the ones who replace them end up going back over 80% of the time. Cube is the first spreadsheet-native FP&A platform to deliver faster planning and performance without changing how teams work. Cube’s powerful engine connects into existing spreadsheets and source systems, delivering all of the benefits of enterprise-level FP&A with none of the headaches.
To date, Cube has raised over $45M of venture capital from top tier investors such as Battery Ventures and Mayfield. Together, we’re building a culture that challenges and celebrates everyone with a path to grow. That’s where you come in! We’re happily headquartered in New York City, but are foremost a remote-first company. This means we communicate, collaborate, and connect virtually across different time zones. As we enter our next phase of growth, we believe Cubers are the reason we win.
About The Role:
Cube is hiring a Senior Back End Engineer to join our Engineering Team located across the US and Canada. We’re a remote-first company that is motivated by supporting people in typically unsung roles like Finance. Our goal as a company is to create an extremely simple and straightforward product in an industry (Financial Planning and Analysis, FP&A) that deals with complex data and modeling. As a team, we’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to take ownership across the team and foster a culture of continuous improvement, psychological safety, and great communication and collaboration.
As a valued member of our team, you’ll partner closely with our Engineering and Product teammates, as well as our Marketing and Customer Success Teams. You’ll report to one of our Engineering Managers.
This is a great opportunity to come into a focused team and build out processes and structures that will elevate the entire Engineering department.
Learn more about the Engineering Team: our values, how we work, and our interview process.
- Our back-end is written in Python and built using Django.
- Our infrastructure is hosted within AWS and follows the well-architected framework.
- Our processes are driven by automation, experimentation, observability and security.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Consistently writing production-ready code that is easily testable, easily understood by other engineers, and accounts for edge cases and errors.
- Own the observability and monitoring for their teams' domain and uses data to suggest improvements.
- Offering honest, accurate critique and ensures that feedback is always used for growth through respectful conversation and collaboration.
- Nurture an environment of continuous growth within your team by providing motivation, mentorship and learning opportunities.
- Take ownership of the practices and processes within your team and constantly focus on their improvement.
- Foster a culture of goal setting within your team and ensure everyone is continuously working towards their goals.
- Build a psychologically safe environment where everyone on your team feels comfortable giving and receiving open and honest feedback.
Who You Are:
- Exceptional communication skills and can communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience creating and maintaining high-performant software in a remote-first environment.
- Extensive experience with one or more of the following technologies: Python, Django, MySQL, AWS.
- Proven track record of delivering well-designed, well-tested and performant software solutions within an agile environment.
The base salary range for this role is: $129,591-$175,329 USD.
Important considerations when reviewing our ranges
We use a wide variety of market data points to come up with a thoughtful and comprehensive compensation package. Our team takes the following into consideration:
- Your past achievements and scope of ownership/influence that you expressed in your interview process.
- The stage of our company. We’re early in the growth of our organization and we place a heavy earnings potential on our equity.
- Your current location. The fact is, it costs more for the basics in some places more than others and we adjust accordingly for that.
- These ranges are posted for US-employees only.
- Only base salaries are posted. For commission based roles, please inquire with your recruiter during your first call.
The expectations above are meant to be the ideal, but if you don’t meet all of them and think you’d be a great fit for this role, please apply!
This position is open to candidates who currently live in the United States or Canada. Immigration sponsorship is not available at this time.
Why You'll Love It Here:
Cube promotes work-life balance by placing value in ownership over hours. We make iterative process changes based on real and measurable metrics. We encourage a culture of clear and effective communication through honest feedback, detailed documentation, and supportive mentorship.
Cube is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is what drives our success – it’s at the core of how we hire, communicate, and work.
Our Company Values:
- Nimble - Our flexibility is an asset. It means we’re always learning, staying receptive to feedback, and making changes quickly. We learn from our customers just like they learn from us.
- Simple - We’re thoughtful and make decisions that favor quality over quantity. Focus is our focus. To quote Einstein, “If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough." Simplicity is also synonymous with clarity in our context—there are many things we could focus on, but prioritizing and communicating clearly will make a huge impact on us.
- Joyful - Our product elevates people in unsung roles--as a company, we want to create joyful experiences for our customers, teammates, candidates, and community, by creating connections and taking time to celebrate the impact we make.
- Human - We’re a group of humans building products for humans. The way we operate, communicate, and collaborate is thoughtful and empathetic.
As a Cuber, you’ll have access to…
- We celebrate First Fridays! The first Friday of each month, we all take off to recharge and enjoy a long weekend.
- Our flexible paid vacation & sick/mental health time guidelines help you get the time/space you need.
- We provide medical, vision, and dental insurance options with a nationally-recognized provider, including FSA/HSA options, and OneMedical membership.
- You’ll be a part of an earlier-stage, high-growth company where all teammates have an opportunity to learn and grow.
- We encourage participation in Employee Resource Groups such as our Gender Equity Group and more. You are welcome at our table!
- We take time to celebrate our accomplishments–it’s all too easy to forget this when you’re moving fast. We slow down & reflect on our achievements and share those in Slack!
- We offer equity in the form of incentive stock options to all employees of Cube, as we want you to be connected to the success of the company.
- We offer a 401(k) program for our US employees–you can start contributing immediately! We've partnered with one of the top 401k firms for companies our size. In fact, they're a customer!
- You’ll be joining an experienced team of tech startup leaders, who are eager to work with you and provide support and mentorship!