This job was posted over 90 days ago and may no longer be available.
Fully Remote - Backend Software Engineer - Python
Time zones: EST (UTC -5), UTC -4, UTC -3, UTC -2, GMT (UTC +0), CET (UTC +1), CEST (UTC +2), CVT (UTC -1)
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
Laterpay is looking for a senior level Backend Software Engineer to join our fully distributed tech team full time.
We believe that tech has a moral responsibility to help the creative world, and we are developing a suite of enterprise-grade micropayment tools and APIs to monetize digital content simply and easily. You’ll be working on various backend applications, building new features as well as maintaining and fixing existing code, to help us expand our offerings.
We’ve been a fully distributed organization for almost 10 years, and we’re pretty proud of the supportive remote culture we’ve created and fine-tuned over the years. We use Slack as our office, Jira for transparency and organizing work, and video calls for real-time collaboration (and just to hang out face to face).
Our current stack is:
- Python - FastAPI, Django, Pydantic, SQLAlchemy, Mypy, Pytest
- PostgreSQL, DynamoDB
- AWS, CircleCI, Terraform
For this role, we’re looking for a problem-solving systems thinker with broad experience across the backend stack to join our core services team. If you are interested in the role and have senior level experience, but don’t meet all of the criteria listed below, please apply anyway. We understand that growth is continuous and we are committed to helping you grow at Laterpay.
We would expect our ideal candidate to be able to:
- Understand complex systems and the interactions between them in depth.
- Translate ideas into projects with discrete tasks.
- Be sought out by others as a technical resource.
- Provide mentorship to other members of the engineering team, give guidance to and unblock other engineers.
- Seek design, architecture, or specialized input when needed (and know when it’s needed).
- Make good, informed decisions around technical debt and tradeoffs.
- Communicate with non-technical team members to understand needs and give technical advice.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Working within a cross functional team of Product Managers, UX designers, Engineering Managers, and Frontend Engineers to understand the requirements and scope that drive the design of technical solutions.
- You will potentially act as tech lead on one of our teams.
- Contributing clean, functional and tested code.
- Setting up and managing appropriate tooling.
- Creating documentation for new features and maintaining documentation of existing ones.
- Finding and addressing performance issues throughout the application.
- Helping to identify and fix bugs and issues.
- Technical scoping and leading architectural discussions.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has experience with Python and its ecosystems.
- Is comfortable running as well as developing applications.
- Has experience with "zero downtime" deployments / migrations.
- Has a good surface/contextual-level understanding of “the full web stack” and the ability to collaborate with Frontend engineering teams.
- Has a good command of English: written and verbal, producing and understanding.
- As a distributed team, we primarily communicate via Slack, so the ability to clearly and completely communicate in written English is vital.
- We also frequently hop on calls, both audio and video, so the ability to clearly speak and understand English is also vital.
- Has experience with team leadership.
HOW WE WORK
LaterPay is a team of 20+ people spread over 13+ countries in time zones from UTC-8 to UTC+2. Since our founding, we have been remote first (though we have offices in Munich and in New York).
We care more about the things you do than whether you’re at your desk at 9am every day. That said, most of us work Monday - Friday from 7ish UTC to 4ish UTC, and ideally you’ll overlap at least 4 hours with that. We try to be as asynchronous as possible, but still feel that we need some “synchronicity” to work well.
Our values are:
- Be fearless. Be entrepreneurial.
- Simplify things.
- Own your decisions. Your successes. Your mistakes.
- Enjoy diversity and inclusion.
- Work as a team. Trust each other.
Check out our Behind the scenes blog for more insight on how we work.
- AllHands (biannual team event)
- Annual training and personal development budget
- Paid sick leave
- Paid time off
- Distributed, international team
- Flexible work
- Company laptop
If this sounds interesting, please apply here:
- Upload your CV.
- Let us know in your cover letter how working with us leverages your past experiences or connects with your future goals,
Our preference goes to applications with cover letters. Read a thing about why here.
We will be accepting applications until March 28th. We’ll spend time reviewing applications until April 8th -- No need to check in with us if you don’t hear anything back from us during this time!
Up to €85,000 / year, negotiable based on experience and skill level.